Re: Re: Would this work for Mobuis?

At 5:50 AM -0400 7/17/06, mark t wrote:
>What about a Dell D400?  I found one with 1GB of RAM for $450.  Excuse
>my ignorance I am a long term mac user but want to get a PC soley for
>Mobuis but do not want to spend alot.  thanks.

Be careful with older Dells.  I don't know if this is one of the
affected models, but there were a couple in the past that had issues
with current bleeding from the power adapter into the ports.  Hence,
if you used it with the power adapter, you'd wind up with crackling
and popping coming through your sound card as the voltage dipped or
spiked.  When using it off battery power it wasn't a problem, but how
long do the batteries last?

Go search for "Dell" in the Laptopmozart group over on Yahoogroups,
and you'll find all the details.  I don't remember the models about
which people were complaining, but I've stayed cautious of Dells ever
since.

        --m.
--
_______
"Now Simulcast on Crazy People's Fillings"