To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2006 2:22 PM
Subject: RE: FOR SALE: Mesa Boogie Mark I Combo Amp

Well, yes I was being a bit sarcastic. I believe the JC120 came to promise
fro two reasons,
1. It has self contained stereo chorused that at least gives its sterile
sound a bit of dimension. 2. It is  very dependable and loud, a favorite of
cartage and rental services as back line for touring bands.
As one who has had to use provided back line amps, I always hope that a
fender twin is present and its tubes aren't so gassed as to make it sound
flabby. otherwise I would settle for a jazz chorus, and I never had a
problem with its clean sound, however, I can't believe that after all these
years , Roland has never gotten the clue that the distortion sound on these
things is basically useless, not to mention the reverb is pretty tin can
sounding as well. And this is a company that excels at signal processors. Go
figure. I had a mini brute, which I took to Berklee years ago. Ii was a nice
warm clean sounding solid state amp, made even louder by the EVM speaker I
managed to somehow cram in to its little cabinet. Later I had a Pearce G1
amp, because it actually had a very usable overdrive channel, soon after I
added a Pearce extension cabinet w/ slave power amp for stereo ,and later I
switched to a Pearce preamp running through a boogie power amp. I finally
abandoned the rack mount amp dance about ten years ago and went back to tube
combos for most of my live gigs, and a modeling amp when doing the looping
thing. I know a lot of great music has been played on these amps, and
certainly if what you desire is uber clean, the JC120 has few modern peers,
but for me, clean tube sounds better than clean solid state, and it feels
better, though the natural compression of a tube amp can be mimicked with a
good compressor (my old Pearce amps had a built in limiter similar to the
Gibson Lab series amps, which Dan Pearce helped design). If you want
something like a JC120, but without the back ache, You might try to find a
used JC77, the discontinued baby brother to the JC120. I found a link on
EBAY
http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-JC77-Jazz-Chorus-Guitar-Amp-with-Xtras_W0QQitemZ1
40000830625QQihZ004QQcategoryZ47094QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I have developed a fondness for amps with a two ten speaker configuration,
I own a 70's vibrolux reverb, and 60's vox AC10 twin, and as a gigging
middle aged guy I appreciate the fact that I'm not risking a hernia every
time I load my amp in my trunk. I also like the tighter bass response the
tens give, they just seem punchier to me..
Cheers
Bill