Re: Ableton w/ VST Looper

On 22 jun 2006, at 12.19, Buzap Buzap wrote:

> Yesterday I've managed to run Mobius with Ableton (I intend to
> mostly use Mac, though).

Then you will have to run XP on the Mac (Intel CPU Mac + Boot Camp)

> Using Moebius, I can get loops of any length into Ableton, indeed.
> Now, what I want to figure out:
> Once I get a loop of any length into Ableton via Moebius - how can
> I create additional loops of same/multiple length?

In Live: Us the global quantization and record audio to a track, thus
creating a lIve audio clip.

In Mobius: Set the Preset so Mobius will create a new loop of the
same length (as the one you are coming from) when you select a new
and empty (Mobius) track.

> I guess I could do several loops like that in paralell within
> Moebius. However, I would like to have different effect settings
> for each loop.

Set eight Live tracks (session view) to fetch the eight track outputs
from Mobius. Now, if you create a new loop on a new Mobius track it
will send audio into its own dedicated Live channel/track.

But you should know that the concept of splitting audio over many
channels to apply effects in real-time will eat up a lot of CPU
power. I used that concept in the past but left it for musical/
performance reasons. Instead I now use effects before loopers and
record effects as parts of the loops. I may go back to your concept
some day in the future if super powerful laptops are available. Until
then I prefer to work the instant composing stuff on a master track
level (mangling the summed layers/loops) instead of taking the remix
approach to split it up in parallel. (but when producing recorded
music I definitely use as much multi-track techniques as possible)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)