From: Per Boysen [mailto:perboysen@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:13 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Hiromi

On 21 jun 2006, at 15.43, goddard.duncan@mtvne.com wrote:

> here's the difference for me- back then, having chops wasn't nearly
> enough. everyone had chops. you had to have something to say aswell
> (which was a big enough problem for talented musicians even then,
> especially instrumental combos at the dawn of punk/new-wave), &
> most importantly you had to have a sense of humour. ELP did.
> bruford did

Hear you and see what you mean. That's why I liked Brufords solo
album "Feels Good To Me" so much. Annette Peacock and Alan Holdsworth
constantly reinventing the same phrases (voice- et guitar howling) as
a sort of "discussion" or "game". Also liked music of Yes back then,
much because of Steve Howes' habbit to play themes from other albums,
partly concealed as "guitar solos" on new songs, in new tempi and
keys (still working on learning to like Peter Gabriel's music,
whenever an occasion comes around. Also liked BrandX a lot more than
the later Phil Collins 0utlets. Ok, guys - flame on! ;- )

Oh - BTW, one very cool band from those early seventies was called
Hatfield And The North. Ringing a bell with any of you English Chaps
on this list? I think the keyboard player has been writing a column
in one of the Brittish musician magazines for years, but I don't
remember which one. Have been searching for their album on digital
web shops but no luck so far.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)