Re: RC-50 vs. Repeater?

For a while I had some patches programmed to do that. For example,
Mute some/all tracks on RPTR1 and meanwhile start recording on RPTR2.

But in the heat of performance, it was too hard to keep tabs which
tracks are muted or unmuted. Because...and this is something I've
explained at great length to Elextrix...the Repeater gives you no
visual feedback whatsoever as to what tracks are muted!  In some
songs, I often do things exactly the same, but I need to stay
flexible in case accidents happen (and some of my favorite songs I
deliberately leave open to the element of chance).

Also, at the end of a song I often get absorbed in what I'm
performing (the ends of songs are always different and I'm
concentrating on silly little things like musical phrase...;-)...). I
quickly forget what is muted and what is not. Meanwhile, I'll start
the next piece, and the old loop will be erased, but the mute
settings are still from the previous song! The only way to "reset" is
to turn the power off. Often I'll turn the power off between songs
for this sole purpose, because I just can't remember what I muted or
unmuted. Add to this the fact that sometimes a foot press might not
have been "forceful" enough, and maybe I didn't unmute? No way to
know...

Try it, you'll soon see how complicated it can become if you have
songs where you already mute and unmute tracks on a regular basis.

Then we get into the issue of space within each patch on the
FCB1010.... The FCB1010 allows you to send 2 CC messages and 5 PC
messages per patch. I have one CC spot  and 2 PC spots controlling
RPTR1 and the same for RPTR2. So really I'm limited to one 1 CC and 2
PCs message per Repeater per patch (the 5th slot controls the drum
machine). Combo muting (ie 1&2 and 3&4) is accessible only via CC, so
the other 2 tracks have to be muted with 2 separate PC messages.
That's 2 CCs + 4PCs to mute/unmute all the tracks on the two
Repeaters. And then no room left for anything. It's easier when there
are only a couple tracks running on each. But I eat up tracks pretty
fast...!

Instead, I started various combos of simultaneously stopping RPTR1
and starting RPTR2. But I'm midi synced and the Repeater "ramps up"
to the tempo when starting from a full stop.

Sigh.

So now I've resorted to this: combination of stopping RPTR1 and a
volume pedal on RPTR2. I can start a Repeater with the volume down so
it has time to ramp up to the clock, then I'll bring up the volume at
the right moment. I've had a hard time operating 2 volume pedals and
the FCB1010, so I've arranged the songs to make use of just one
Repeater coming in and out with my feet. And the other Repeater I'll
start it before with my feet, let it ramp up, and turn volume knob up
on the mixer in a "breath" when I 'm not playing the cello...