Sigh... USB-MIDI Interfaces

Of course the one thing I left out of my Great New Machine was a USB-MIDI
Interface, having assumed that there'd be the good old joystick-MIDI
socket
on the new motherboard (which has 24-bit SBLive 7.1 onboard), but no!

I did a search for "USB MIDI" on LD's digest but it brought forth too many
posts to check for verity.  So here I am!

I've seen the standardly-overpriced M-audio / Avid interface and had to
laugh at the price tag - and decided to come check here.  If I'm going to
spend £45 (funny how that works, it's $45 in the US, the equivalent of $82
after the criminal artificial Ripoff Britain Squad has had at it) I'm
going
to entertain a firewire interface.

Comments about lag time/latency in USB MIDI interfaces are as usual
welcome,
if not also schematics in the absence of other-than-Avid products..
Thanks
in advance!

Stephen Goodman
*