Re: Computers and Global responsibility - was RE: Snap, Crackle, Pop - VST Effect & Sound Card Problems

> Andreas Wetterberg wrote:
>> Yeah - apart from Krispens latest follies it seems all we do
>> around here is trouble-shoot hardware!!!

Not necessarily so. There is a heavy systematic error built into this
matter; those that don't suffer gear issues don't post much since
they're too busy having fun with music.

On 31 maj 2006, at 10.30, Stefan Tiedje wrote:
> One advantage of a hardware setup is, it doesn't change that much,
> because its too much hassle or too expensive to change it. This
> leads to a more solid connection to your instrument, which is
> essential for making good music.
> The software does not force you to change it, but we are all
> addicts of featureitis.
> If we could learn to focus on the instrumental aspect of making
> music, it would help the environment automatically, we would use
> our gear for a much longer time.

I totally agree! I posted this in a slightly different wording some
days ago. It's important to understand that using software demands
that the user stays focused on the music to create. As opposed to the
"trying-out-every-damn-aspect-of-what-these-plugins-can-do" attitude,
that tends to be the true path right down into Reformat Hell ;-)

Of course every newbie musician needs to try out a lot to find his
true instrument. But this is only the platform to start from. The
real trip is to stay with, and grow with, that instrument until it
becomes seamlessly creative. I don't think this process is different
when using software. The challenge, though, is that the middle step -
staying and growing - is so easy to skip over with software. People
that don't know better may get caught in a limbo. The Dark Loop Of No
Output.... ;-)   (last words declared through a two octaves pitch
down box)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)