Re: Snap, Crackle, Pop - VST Effect & Sound Card Problems

On 27 maj 2006, at 18.21, Krispen Hartung wrote:

> What the hell is going on here? What is Reaktor doing to my system?
> If that is the cause. After the windows pop up with the samplerate
> message, I notice that Chainer is set to 48000 and 44100 doesn't
> even appear as an option any more. Amazing...

I don't know about Chainer but one guess could be that the Reaktor
stuff uses audio files of 48k sampling rate and this forces Chainer
to go match it. I've seen that happen in other applications.

Another guess is that the buffer is set too small in Chainer. I've
found that 512 is a good buffer for clean audio and system stability
with most software, except Ableton Live that seems to run as good
with a 256 buffer setting, or smaller. The only situation when I may
go down to 128 or 64 is when I work in Logic and need to play
softsynths  by hand, unquantized from a MIDI keyboards. Then I get
Pops n Crackles, although latency is minimal (as soon as MIDI parts
are recorded I set it back to 512).

A third guess is that you have left some digital port enabled by
mistake. Chainer may then look for a digital clock to sync audio but
doesn't find any, since you have no extra digital gear connected to
the port. This scenario typically gives that type of noise.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)