Re: Computers and Global responsibility - was RE: Snap, Crackle, Pop - VST Effect & Sound Card Problems

> On 5/26/06, Claude Voit <c.voit@vtx.ch> wrote:
>> During all these month long "puter setup blogs" , hardware
>> musicians where
>> playing, composing, practicing, enjoying life using gear they
>> really know.

Amusing remark! :-) That may be an accurate observation, but I think
the remark tells more about different ambitions among users than
general differences between hardware vs software based instruments.
The traditional way to go for anyone who wants to improve as a
musician/composer is to get the best tools available and stick with
them to progress. If the choice goes to software this user may be
tempted to "upgrade" or "try more plug-ins" or whatever possibilities
there are to distract him. But this type of user will probably stick
to the original rig set-up that he considers "his instrument", just
because that's the only attitude that leads to the progress he has
envisioned. On the other hand, some musicians may find a much more
rewarding feeling in simply trying out a lot of gear, without
necessarily learning much in terms of musicianship or composing from
the process.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)