Re: OS? Home or Pro?

----- Original Message -----
From: "mark sottilaro" <zerocrossing2001@yahoo.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Friday, 19 May, 2006 18:08 PM
Subject: Re: OS? Home or Pro?

> Thanks kids!
>
> This is exactly the information I was seeking.  My
> networking needs are few and probably very basic.  If
> it can see my LAN to access the web wirelessly, that's
> about all I care about and frankly even that's not all
> that important.
>
> Now if someone could tell me why this old Sony VAIO
> can't see my wireless network I'd be in heaven!

I've had two clients who couldn't get their desktop VAIO (vintage 2003?)
work with their Buffalo wireless routers.  I was never able to get the
Buffalos to be recognized by the machines unless I plugged into them, and
diags wouldn't work - and the clients both gave up on wireless for the
meantime, eventually replacing their machines.  It left me with the
impression that something in the BIOS needed to be tweaked, but I wasn't
interested in making them wait too long for what seemed to them to be a
simple solution... and so it was, after they replaced the VAIOs and both
called me to happily say that there wasn't a problem anymore.

I'd say at this point that it's either the BIOS not supporting wireless in
some way (conflicting module? software revision in need of update?), or
the
wireless module onboard.  Try to flash the BIOS - don't forget to Load
Optimized Defaults for a single boot afterwards, before going in and
setting
the BIOS up again - and then if this brings no joy, try replacing the
LAN/wireless card in the machine.

HTH.
Stephen Goodman
*