Ways to get more power in laptop setups

As I have gone laptop recently, and I'm somewhat notorious for using huge
amounts of different instruments and effects, the computer performance is
an
issue for me.

I have thought about TC Electronic's powercore firewire, which would allow
me to take at least the "normal" effects (like EQs, compressors, filters,
reverb etc.) off the main CPU. But then again, the price of this thing is
about the same as a 3+ GHz Turion or 1.7GHz Centrino DualCore, together
with
1GB of RAM and 17'' screen and whatnot...

So the question is: if I had that kind of money, would it be invested
better
into a powercore firewire or into another computer (not necessarily
laptop),
or into a completely different solution.

Keep replies offlist, please; I'll post a summary to the list if wanted.

        Rainer