Re: MIDI sync survey: is it important to you?

mark sottilaro wrote:
--- Dan Montgomery <dmont@knology.net> wrote:

Their experience is that if the
laptops are linked and one crashes, they all go.

That sounds silly to me.  Two laptops synced via midi
aren't awear of each other's presence in any way that
could cause a sympathy crash.  If one is slaved to the
other and the leader crashes it could/would cause your
software to stop.  I've had Digital Performer crash
and send out a wacky tempo message as it goes down
causing my Repeater to go crazy.  It ended up being a
really weird beautiful moment.

That was was my first reaction.  In fact, I cannot fathom how 5 people with various instrument and three different laptops doing structure music could spontaneously engage and disengage rhythmic loops, mostly percussive, within a performance without being synced somehow.  But, this was their reported interview.

Just thought I'd throw it out for general discussion.

dm
www.myspace.com/precentor
www.music.download.com/danmontgomery