Re: Looperlative 1st report

 >>>This makes me think that Bob and the early testers were not
trying to push the box to its fullest extent.  A quick browse through
Steve Lawson's sound samples with the box confirms this notion for me-
all his stuff is polite, with discrete loops played at deliberate
tempos.  Not much stress on the Looperlative.<<<

Just for the record, the only 'sound sample' that's ever been posted
by me is the original demo at NAMM, done with a prototype box and
version 0.5 of the software - the main things that I wast trying to
get across with that was that it was stereo, and that the layers
could be manipulated independently with reverse and feedback etc.

Beyond that, the other tracks that I've posted on my myspace page
that feature the Looperlative are from my new album, which is no more
designed to test the limitations of the Looperlative than Bob Dylan
writes songs to test the limits of the acoustic guitar. I can't even
begin to imagine why someone would write music to do that, if it's
not just a product demo. The things that I am doing on both the new
tracks on my MySpace page would have been impossible with my old two
EDP set up, and obviously all the reverbs etc are now in stereo -
that's always been the biggest selling point to me...

As for why Andre's not using an LP1 - I can't speak for him, but if
I'd spent the amount of time working on my EDP skills that he has, I
wouldn't be in any hurry to switch. It's like asking why Yo Yo Ma
doesn't play 5 string electric cello. The Echoplex, as has been
stated many times, does its own bag of tricks, a feature set that
took a decade to come to maturity, and works phenomenally well. For
someone like Andre, it would seem mad to sacrifice all those EDP-
specific elements for a different box at this stage. I'm sure if and
when the LP1 feature set offers something he can't do with the EDP
that he wants to do, he'd get one...

As for Torn, I know he's been on the LP forum, and is in touch with Bob.

 >>> I know I'm the odd
man out here as I think there are only a few of us who
are angry at the way it functions in regard to
switching tracks while synced.  I'm only considering
abandoning the Looperlative because I honestly don't
think enough of us want this functionality that it is
worth Bob's time to add it.  Silly to change your
design for a tiny group of users.<<<

Not at all - MIDI Sync has all along been one of Bob's top
priorities, it's just much harder to develop than relatively simple
internal processes like feedback, reverse and multiply. As Bob has
posted on the forum, it's at the very top of his programming priority
list, and it just depends on whether you can be bothered to stick
around long enough to see it come to fruition. If not, someone else
gets to jump the queue for a LP1, if you do, maybe you'll find that
the LP1 is the answer to your looping prayers after all... ;o)

Steve
www.stevelawson.net - site
www.stevelawson.net/store/ - shop
http://steve.anthropiccollective.org - blog