Looperlative 1st report

I started with a MoFx (delay capture), than an EDP.  Great box.  But I
wanted to be able to take layers out of the middle of the stack of
sounds, w/o disturbing the more recent layers.  Kinda impossible on the
EDP without buying a whole rack full of them.  So, I tried Mobius on a
laptop.  Ugh.  Latency, weird little crackles in the audio (not
Mobius's fault there), the hassle of setting up a fragile laptop +
Pcmcia card + dangling cables + interface box + booting up and mouseing
around + latency issues + audio routing issues...vs. a dedicated
rackspace box, no contest.  So I waited a few months and spent money I
didn't really have on the Looperlative.  It solved a problem.  If I was
just looking at it and thinking, what will this thing do for me that X
doesn't, I probably would have waited until I could try it out and
until most of the bugs were killed.  Expensive?  Yes.  Worth it?
Absolutely...if you know why you're buying it.

Other observations- There are no "momentary" (only happens while the
switch is held down) actions on the Looperlative.  Everything is two
actions, one to switch on, one to switch off.  A Record w/o overdub is
3 actions- On, Off (goes into overdub) and Off again (to turn off
overdub).  This makes me think that Bob and the early testers were not
trying to push the box to its fullest extent.  A quick browse through
Steve Lawson's sound samples with the box confirms this notion for me-
all his stuff is polite, with discrete loops played at deliberate
tempos.  Not much stress on the Looperlative.  I'm not knocking his
playing, but I wonder how many weird bugs are going to pop up when
people really start exploiting the box.  Will it stand up to hardcore
slice and dice manuvers ala David Torn or Andre La Fosse?  (And why the
hell don't they have one?)  Stay tuned...

My Two Cents,
"Some Dude"