Re Re: 4 String Bass or 5 String Bass

>>I was considering getting a bass guitar (again) for home recording
>>purposes (and looping). I had a 4 string before that I used to add
>>bass to my compositions. I was wondering if, for grins, if I should
>>purchase a 5 string just to try out. Is there any compelling reason
>>to get a 5 string?

The extra low string only sounds good on those low notes.
Really it's pushing the limits of string thickness for getting a good tone,
...and can sound a bit flabby if you try to use it higher up the neck.

...but there's always the option to put on a high C string instead.
That extends the playability rather nicely, especially if you're looping,
as
it can help a melodic line to stand out over the loop.

Have to admit though, when I played my 6 stringer with a band last I don't
think I touched the 2 extra strings at all.

andy butler ( who was a bass player before being a guitar looper)