RE: Ebow distortion

Ah the e-bow, or as I like to call it. Kim's Lil' Friend.......
 One thing I found missing from this thread (and maybe I just haven't read everyone's post  completely, and I'm sure the archive's have extensive posts) , is how important the tone control is in shaping the Ebow's sonic signature. I rarely if ever use the Ebow with my tone control wide open, simply because I prefer a mellower cello -like sound from my ebow, not so much the extreme fuzz personality it exhibits.  Often I roll all of the highs off to achieve an almost flute-like quality.  Also fanning the e-bow across the strings particularly with a delay set to tempo, yields wonderful sounds. Ebow on slide or lap steel as mentioned is particularly effective for creating middle eastern and Hindustani influenced sounds, Gareth Whitock has a great technique he uses on his custom grafted lap/ electric double neck guitar hybrid, with an ebow, his finger nails, and an infinity for North African music.  Another reason I still love ebows.
Bill