Re: Message Board: no thanks

> Seriously guys, you are making me want to kill myself here.  Somebody make a message board and whoever wants to use it can use it, and be done with it!

Well, I just throw a few ideas out here and see where it goes. Someone already mentioned this, and I'm not proposing that we migrate to these tools, only using them as examples of what's possible and how they can meet both email and web-user needs.

Google Groups: Web interface; you can receive email rather than going to the interface; you can choose individual email, digest mode, abridged, or nothing as your email receiving options; it is searchable on the web interface; you can manage multiple subscriptions; you can sort messages on the web by date; you can view them in sequence or as a thread tree

Yahoo Groups: Web interface; basically the same features as above, with some minor variations (email can be individual, digest, none, or special notices); plus a lot of the features like file storage, pictures, chat, calendar, polls, database, etc

What else is out there that can do both email and web-based? I suppose there are the good ol' fashion Usenet groups...they do both email and web-interface, except that the web-interface is very basic and text driven. I used to use them a lot on UNIX machines.

Once you set yourself up on one of these systems, you don't even have to use the web interface again if you don't want to. Essentially, from a user standpoint, you would received emails just like in LD, except you have the choice of going to the web interface to take advantage of more features.

So, the question to some of you folks who prefer email only. With a system like Google or Yahoo Groups, once you got setup and were receiving ONLY emails in digest, individual mode, or abridged, what's the difference between that and what you are getting now with the LD list?  Thoughts?  Truly set aside the fact that the emails you are receiving are coming from a web system that you don't have to touch except to get on the list initially or change your messaging options...does that meet your needs?  If not, then what is missing?

Kris