RC-50 Features

Hey:

I have an Boss RC-50 on order and have been thinking about how to use it prior to its (hopeful) arrival in May.

Their terminology is confusing me. They have pedals marked 'patch up' and 'patch down'. I'm assuming this is the 'loop up/down', correct? Also, does anyone know how the next loop (patch) functions? i.e. does it play the last loop til completion and jump to the next?

There's 3 stereo loops and I'm trying to design how I'd use the three loops (as opposed to pure overdubbing that I had done in the past using different instruments-i.e. percussion, drums, etc.). It appears that I could use one of the 'phrases' (to use Boss's terminology) to laydown drums and/or percussion. Another for, say, bass. The third for various guitar or keyboard backing. I'm also assuming the loops/phrases are set at the same loop length (?).

The device also makes statements re: MIDI clocking. What I read, I'm understanding it can be sync'ed to an external clock but can it generate clocking to sync a rhythm device to match tempo with the RC-50?

Anyhow, I'm trying to map its functionality to an EDP's (which I once had).

Thanks for your advice/comments.

Regards, Paul