RE: looping in stereo

Title: RE: looping in stereo
> From: goddard.duncan@mtvne.com [mailto:goddard.duncan@mtvne.com]

>>Should I buy a new mixing table?<<
>
> sounds like this is the best bet.
> BUT if you're using the pc to do the looping as well as recording,
> you'll need to upgrade the soundcard to at least 4 in, 4 out.

Why the 4x4 sound card?

I'm using a Mackie 1202 for PC looping, not only does it solve
the problem of monitoring sound sources without recording them, it
also solves the problem of monitoring the output of the looper without
it recording itself (the bad kind of feedback).

I'm not standing in front of it right now, but the routing is
something like this:

   - various sources into the mixer, including the PC sound card output
   - mixer main outs to the PC sound card input
   - mixer "control room" outs goes to power amp and speakers
   - PC track has Mute button pressed which redirects it to the special
     "Aux 3-4" stereo bus
   - Monitoring section has some button pressed that causes both
     the main outs and and Aux 3-4 sent to the control room outs

The trick is to "mute" the track containing the PC sound card output,
which removes it from the main outs so the PC won't record itself,
but then route it to the control room  outs so you can hear it.

You could then use the mute button on other tracks to selectively
remove them from what the looper is recording, but still hear them.

Jeff