Re: slight OT: scary situation: 1st live performance at an open mic....

Congratulations on your first time playing out.  You were smart to keep it
simple.  After years of experience, I have a basic rule that I almost never
violate:

"Never introduce more than one new thing at each gig."

The "thing" could be a piece of gear or it could be a new technique.

That way I only have to worry about one thing blowing up in a totally
unexpected way.   Everything else I've probably dealt with before or at
least
I know the thing well enough to deal with it without thinking too much.

Cheers,
Kevin
www.TheNettles.com