Re Music Scene

At 12:44 AM 4/11/2006, Andy wrote:
>Spielberg = image
>Tarkovsky = content

Ah, but I deliberately see every Spielberg movie I can.  (Did I say
that?  Oh no, my boho cred is shot!)  He's the only one of his cohort
(Coppola, Lucas) who continues to make original movies.

But I think we've drifted very far away from the original point of my
post, which is that if we want a musical scene, we have to create our
own.  A scene is a social context, a society in which the music that
we create can flourish.  A society attracts people for many reasons,
not all of which have to do with the music itself.

Which leads back to one of favorite aphorisms that must be boring the
heck out of everybody on the list.  "I don't want to smash the
state.  I want my own damn state."  Don't blame society as a whole or
consumer culture or whatever outside force you care to name for your
music not being heard. The venue for your music is your own personal
responsibility.  If only four people come to your shows you can make
one of two conclusions:  1) you didn't do enough promo or 2) people
just don't like your music enough to come out and see it.  What you
do with those two conclusions is entirely up to you.

There has never been a time in history when so much has been possible
musically.  The culture of sampling and iTunes has opened people's
minds to a huge variety of music.  It has never been cheaper to start
your own record company and distribute your own music.  The Internet
and iPods have opened up an entirely different broadcasting
medium.  Social networking websites and blogs are an entirely
different way of getting the word out about your music.  Looper's
Delight is an example of this--thank you, Kim!

"Don't dream it - be it."
   -- Rocky Horror Picture Show

"Thus endeth the lesson."

Cheers,
Kevin

The Nettles: Progressive and Exciting Celtic Music
www.TheNettles.com