RE: BAY AREA new music scene: was Noise Pancakes in the news!

Good letter!
Four people, huh? I've had plenty of shows like that for my rock gigs here
in Boston, and maybe 3 times as many peole for my avant shows. Maybe if I
stick to avant I'll be famous! (LOL)

Your Pal,
Tim Mungenast

California
> and said he'd just need
> a minimum of three gigs to be able to afford to come (mentioning a sum
that
> would be a rather embarassingly
> low paid casuals/wedding gig).
>
> I had to tell him that it wasn't possible......that even I , who have a
> decent draw in SF for new musical events considered myself
> lucky if my expenses are paid when I do a gig (they a frequently aren't)
>
> ********
>
> Lately there has been  a amazing collection of new music people in the
East
> Bay because many of the bay areas best and brightest
> young musicians lost there lucrative software day jobs and could no
longer
> afford to live in the pricier cities of
> San Francisco, San Jose and Santa Cruz.    I'm on tribe.net which is full
of
> electronica musicians and it seems like
> 1/3 of the people on that website are from Oakland.
>
> Is there a scene there?    No?     The reason?      Well, at least one
>of
> the reasons is that there are very , very few places to play and even if
> people would play the people would not come out to see them.     The
other
> reason I think is that like a lot of people on this list,  a lot of
people
> who do new or unusual musics are not particularly social people to begin
> with but that's the subject for another discussion.
>
> My own wife once said,  "How ironic is it that we live in the wealthiest
> empire in the history of the entire planet and that we
> live in one of the wealthiest per capita urban areas in that vastly
wealthy
> country and that,   instead of the arts flourishing
> with support and patronage, that they are, instead,  barely breathing.
>
> The singer/songwriter Sam Phillips (the woman, not the man) said,   "No
> matter who is the president of the record company or the A&R person or
the
> lawyers or whatever,  the artists never go away.   We are always here and
we
> always will be.
>
> I say,  yeah verily to the Scott Looney's of the world who open up their
own
> homes to money losing new music concerts..........to
> the Roberto Zorzi's, Bernhard Wagners and Andy Butler's who will risk
their
> own money in an effort to spread their artistry outside of the confines
of
> their own countries and cities;    to the Sunao Inami's who will risk
>the
> very small amount of money they have to put out recordings of artists
>who
> don't recoup their costs just so this beautiful music gets heard;   the
Matt