Music Scene (Was: BAY AREA new music scene)

At 01:01 AM 4/6/2006, you wrote:
>I agree with you about the coolness of the scene but people should know
>that
>the scene, like almost every fringe musical scene in the world, is peopled
>by people who are fanatical about promoting it and creating opportunities
>where none appear to be.

This is universal and is true of all emerging and fringe musical
scenes.  We hear blues everywhere now but until the 60's most of the
now-famous blues musicians had day jobs and played nights in some of
the nastiest bars imaginable.

>Is there a scene there?    No?     The reason?      Well, at least
>one of the reasons is that there are very , very few places to play
>and even if people would play the people would not come out to see
>them.     The other reason I think is that like a lot of people on
>this list,  a lot of people who do new or unusual musics are not
>particularly social people to begin with but that's the subject for
>another discussion.

Creating a scene is a social activity.  It takes a lot of talking and
hanging out and developing a core of cool people who other people
want to hang out with and emulate.  It requires fashion and morays.
Creating a scene has very little to do with the music but building
the soil that allows the music to flourish.  Creating a big scene
requires young people and a continuing venue.  It also helps to have
a front man (or woman) who most people find extremely attractive.

>My own wife once said,  "How ironic is it that we live in the
>wealthiest empire in the history of the entire planet and that we
>live in one of the wealthiest per capita urban areas in that vastly
>wealthy country and that,   instead of the arts flourishing
>with support and patronage, that they are, instead,  barely breathing.

As an example, consider the painters now called the Great
Masters.  The Great Masters's painting technique is almost beyond
belief--on some of the work you can't see brushstrokes, even with
your nose almost touching the canvas. The Great Masters flourished
during a time of tremendous wealth in Europe.  But think what they
mostly did: they painted portraits of wealthy patrons and religious
scenes for wealthy churches.  It's the same now.  You want to be a
working musician but you don't want to compose music for ads and you
don't want to teach and you don't want to do session work for (often)
hack artists?  Best of luck!

>the artists never go away.   We are always here and we always will be.

Creative people have to create.  If I couldn't create, I'd go mad.  I
think that applies to a lot of people.  But we have to accept that we
have to do other things to support our creative activities.  'Twas ever so.

>I say,  yeah verily to the Scott Looney's of the world...

Kudos to you, too, Rick. And Kirsten. And Kim.  And the other folks
on this list who work hard in their spare moments to keep the looper
and new music communities going.

Cheers,
Kevin
www.TheNettles.com