RE: BAY AREA new music scene: was Noise Pancakes in the news!

I loved the Bay Area when I lived there, but certainly the new music scene
was struggling for an audience, but not for excellent artists. Rick left
out
one vital component of the scene there: the schools. I was at the Mills
College CCM (along with Art Simon and I'm sure others from this list),
which
was (and, I presume, still is) an amazing place, but there's also CCRMA at
Stanford, CNMAT at UC Berkeley, SF State, Hayward, SJ State - all have
internationally-recognized staff and programs in electronic music (and
related courses).

So there does tend to be a core group, a built-in audience, for
university-related events in the Bay Area(at least there was when I was
around). How much that helps those who aren't exactly in that community, I
don't know. Interest in new music events by the general public - in any
urban center - seems to have a lot to do with whether the sponsor has
promotion dollars and/or is well-known, and how theatrically-conceived the
event is. I've seen a fairly sizable auditorium filled for a new music
performances at Stanford, for instance - but the performance also featured
tribal drums and costumes and the posters were colorful and exciting. I'd
also characterize at least some of the Laurie Anderson tours as "new
music",
and she was packing very large venues (by my standards).

Anyway, where else but the Bay Area do you have a daily morning radio show
on a major station (KPFA) that interviews new music composers, including
many unknowns, and showcases their work for - I don't know, maybe tens of
thousands of listeners? I don't know what the current state of the Morning
Concert is, but Charles Amirkhanian and Russ Jennings were doing an amazing
service there for many years.

Best wishes,
Warren Sirota

Come hear *The Sandbox* at The Monkey in NYC, April 23rd, 8PM  - details at
www.warrensirota.com/sandbox