From: Stuart Wyatt [mailto:loopersdelight@swyatt.com]
Sent: maandag 3 april 2006 15:34
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: laptop vs echoplex

For me, the main issue in this discussion is cost.

For the price of £600 (around the price of one mono EDP), I've just
purchased a second hand laptop that has the power to emulate 16 (8
stereo pairs) EDP's. The same laptop can also emulate virtual
synths/samplers (through Ableton Live) - all syncronised beautifully.

When you take into account cost of building up my virtual studio in
hardware form, it would cost about £15,000 for the EDP's alone (source:
Thomann.de). Another £250 for leads, £200 or so for flight cases, £300
for an adequate mixing desk, £1000 for a few rack effects, £1000 for a
couple of synths.... you can see where I'm getting at.

In an ideal world, I would love to have a bank of EDP's or a
Looperlative... Hardware will always be the safest and most reliable
option, but for a struggling musician like myself, there is no other
option but to go down the laptop route.

As far as reliability goes, with a bit of time and patience, it is
possible to set up a reliable and trustworthy laptop. Mobius, although
still under development, is incredibly resilient and stable. Any bugs
are quickly discovered and erradicated. As long as you use the laptop
purely as a looping device, and don't connect it to the net or install
lots of 'warez', I don't think that you will have many problems.

I hope to be gigging soon with my new setup. A couple of years ago, I
would have never believed that I would be putting my faith in a laptop
on stage! :)

...just my 2 cents

- Stuart Wyatt  http://swyatt.com