Re: power is nothing without control (was Re: Filter-Looper Swapping)

> On Mar 28, 2006, at 11:40 AM, Luca Formentini wrote:
>>
>> The problem resides in the midi implementation offered by their
>> manufacturers. None of them ( Rme said that officially and Motu by
>> the mouth of their italian importer) care about making this
>> objects flexible hearts for evoluted signal routing.
>> The most stupid thing is that they all have what they need, it's
>> just a matter of control so, like a famous italian commercial says
>> "power is nothing without control".
>> It's a shame, once again it looks like there are no musicians in
>> the manifacturers' teams.

Here's another two cent:
The market is more about business than about art, that's just the way
it is. I'm sure all the musicians working with those companies do
speak out, but the truth is that their wishes are not not targeted
towards a prosperous market, business-wise. On the other hand there
is MAX/msp that has been in use for 16, something, years for the
purpose of controlling audio, light and whatever used in a artistic
performance. I'm no MAX wiz myself, but as far as I have understood
you pretty much have to design your own patch to get looping with it.
The fact that has been keeping me away from getting into MAX is that
every user I know is so very interested in PROGRAMMING IN MAX! ;-))
That's not my interest, I just want to mace music right away. And
that's why I stick to Mobius these days. It's being developed at a
very high speed and there is a growing user community of musicians
that are not very interested in programming - just like me ;-)) So I
don't feel alone when asking for "easy, powerful and intuitive"
solutions. And yet, the thing is fully scriptable so if you should
catch interest in programming some obscure looping functionality,
just for the sake of experimenting, you are free to go ahead and do
it right away.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)