Re:Re:Filter-Looper Swapping

At 17:19 28/03/06, you wrote:
>>??? what's a fan-in
>
>In this case its two lines into one line for the inputs into the
>EDP, Filter and Amp, each of which have only one input.

Ah, right.
You don't need to worry.

All the switching would be done in the box, which would have 6 jack
sockets.
guitar
edp in
edp out
filter in
filter out.
amplifier.

The one thing that may be tricky is the gain staging.

The EDP and Filter Queen are both line level devices,
rather than stomp boxes.

The EDP has enough gain to amplify the guitar to line level, and has
an output volume
to reduce the level down to guitar level again.

Now, if
a) Filter Queen can do that as well
and
b) you're using a guitar amp input

Then everything works out fine.

Also, if both FX are in your amp's FX loop things should be fine.

If not then it may be tricky, or even impossible, to set the input
gains on the edp and filter in such
a way that it works "both ways round".

I suggest that you try the re-patching just with leads first to find
out if you can get the re-ordering to work without having to change
the gain on the devices each time you switch.

Sorry I didn't think of that before, I always run the guitar thru a
pre-amp into the FX at line level and straight to pa.

So if it isn't working yet, I'd need to know
1) can you plug guitar straight into Filter queen and get enough gain
2) can you control the output volume of the Filter Queen
3) what kind of amplification are you using

then it should still be possible to work something out.

andy
ps
this applies whether you buy a readymade switch, or roll your own.