Re: looking for: a cheap portable digital audio recorder

Hi,

The trouble is that you don't say what "cheap" means for you - neither do
you say which "non-cheap" models that you've seen that might help us.

Whether cheap or expensive, I have an Edirol R-1 (about £300). It records
Compact Flash cards (although only comes with a tiny one). it has built in
effects (including various "mastering" programmes which are multiband
compressors, it also has a limiter which is additional to the effects. It
records directly to WAV or various resolutions of MP3. Goes straight into
USB and doesn't need any of it's own software. I have a few small gripes:
fiddly level control, you can only monitor levels in record pause mode,
not
when recording, the screen is very faint. But I like mine, I've recorded
gigs from the desk and with the built in mics, I use it for recording
practices too and loads of other jobs.

There's also a similarly priced M-Audio one and a much highr priced
Marantz
with XLRs and fantom power.

I have an Iriver MP3 player which records - IHP120 - but as has already
bee
said, the built in mic is rubbish+ it picks up hard disk noise, also quite
fiddly to work with.

Hope this is of some use.

Ian.