Re: looking for: a cheap portable digital audio recorder

Well I've got a recommendation, but it doesn't meet all your
requirement: The iRivier ifp 700 and 800 series. They have a built in
mic, but it isn't very good quality. You can built a good quality
stereo mic though for surprisingly little money. Here's an article I
wrote on how to do it with an old pair of heaphones for about $4:
http://art.simon.tripod.com/stealth.html

The ifp700 and 800 series are the only flash based mp3 recorders that
can power a mic that has electret condenser elements.

The iRiver ifp 700 and 800 series record mp3s upto 320kps, which for
many purposes is fine. They've developed something of a following
among video and blog producers:
http://www.geekfishing.net/media/podcast/2005/03/16/iriver_ifp799_recording.html
http://www.videouniversity.com/iriver.shtml
http://todmaffin.com/blogs/radio/?p=912

While they've been discontinued, they are still cheap. You can get the
128Mb ifp-780 for $59.95 from the iriver store right now:
https://secure15.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=iriver&BusType=BtoC&Count1=402218043&Count2=319358468

The downsides are that the user interface is very confusing and they
have a reputation for being fragile. And no built in compression per
your requirements.

--
Art Simon
simart@null.net