Re: Zappas' guitar playing: was: What a loop has to say

Hola-

I try to stay out of "I like this/I don't like this discussions", but man,
I just gotta say that there are very few guitarists that can hold my
attention playing a
long "guitar solo".  Frank was one of them.  I always felt like he truly
"composed" on the spot, and his fountain of musical ideas seemed
effortlessly
limitless on a good night.  In terms of playing guitar "properly", all I
can say is he had a style that was all his own.  I could pick his playing
out of a lineup
in just a few notes, sometimes only one.  Granted, a lot of his solos are
of the same sort (modal explorations over one chord ostinato vamps) but it
almost amazes me even more that he could wrangle so many ideas out of a
simple formula.  And tone that just killed me.

Anyway, just wanted to give Frank some props.  Miss him.

Joe

Search for businesses by name, location, or phone number.  -Lycos Yellow
Pages