Re: Best Cheap Guitar Synth

     Kevin,

     I've owned the FM-4, and though I would never have described it as
"glitchy", it didn't sound
convincing to me.  More like it was trying to emulate 16 different "real
filters" and doing a
barely passable job at all of them.  I'm sure that other users find it
more than adequate, that
was just my impression.  By itself it was okay, kinda fun for a few
hours...  But then put it in a
signal chain with other stomp boxes and suddenly it doesn't sound so good
anymore.  Same goes for
their other coloured boxes.  The MM-4 was my favorite out of that bunch,
but it just didn't hold
up in a more complex signal path.  I sold it and got a TC Stereo Chorus
Flanger instead.  Now
there's a sexy beast...

     The Filter Factory on the other hand, sounds as clear and as deep as
a snow-fed mountain
stream.  The only problem I have with it is that the distortion segment is
a bit lame.  But that's
neither here nor there.  You also may want to look into the Filter Queen,
almost the same exact
unit while taking up half the space.  I've owned both and have kept the
Filter Factory.

     I also owned an Evolver for 6 months or so.  One of the worst
possible user interfaces ever
to exist on a piece of gear.  While the PolyEvolver keyboard goes a long
way towards rectifying
the Evolver's UI, it still doesn't show what it got under it's skirt.
This is something that I'd
want to see at a glance, like say, a Nord Lead or a Korg Oasys with their
LED illuminated rotary
knobs.  Electrix gear shows everything, you can tell what sound it's going
to make even before
turning it on.  The only exception to this is that the Repeater is lacking
a few small things like
track mute indicators.

     Stephen

<<The FM-4 looks to be a little glitchy, judging from the user manual
and the comments on the list.  Does anyone have experience with the
Electrix Filter Factory?  That may be the filter for me.>>