Re: OT (ish) Role of a laptop in music

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that more or less one genre?
experimental, beat oriented electronic music? ;-)

I'd take a close look on the experimental side of it, esp. the IDM and
perhaps noise-genres, some of which use custom scripting to generate
output - this approach is getting pretty close to AI-participation and
it's very interesting to see and hear software interacting with the
player in quite complex ways.

Andreas