From: goddard.duncan@mtvne.com
Sent: Mar 17, 2006 12:13 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: RE: [LOOP] what a loop has to say

>>Most of the time, I let the sound of the loop define where I'm going, what
it needs to do next, what additional loops and layers it wants to play
with next, when it wants to take a break and sit back and listen to the
other loops play, and when it invites me to come play with it.<<

I recognise this.

sometimes it will be a chunk of audio in a looper, sometimes a line or two in a looping hardware sequencer (doepfer maq, notron, whatever), sometimes something our guitarist has going around in his jam-man.

whatever it is, it will "seed" the whole improv, & may disappear only to re-appear later on, perhaps in a modified form.

with careful use of effects &/or patches, the looping material can give the impression of live & controlled evolution, as though someone is devoting some concentration to it's manipulation when, in fact, it's just free-running.

meanwhile, slightly more complex beings are interacting with it.

it's a bit like having a junior member of the band, who isn't quite sure how far they can push their chops, so they just find a groove & stay in it for a while. indeed, I find myself wondering if "junior" is the right word, since as a bass player I find staying in one groove for a long time is actually very hard & requires some disciplne I simply don't have.

hmmm....

duncan.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe