Re: what a loop has to say

When looping live in my typical free-improv mode, I usually start by
clearing my mind as much as possible and starting with the closest mental
state I can get to a "tabula rasa."  From that instant onward, what I play
is direct result of my real-time intellectual reflections and feelings, my
mood, etc. Those feelings and reflections are either generated in
real-time
by the music, or they are generated independently of the music, as I tend
be simultaneously both inside and outside of my music (and myself) while I
am performing. After a few songs, I usually start noticing a thematic
thread
of continuity through each piece. I'm guessing that there is sort of a
creative feedback process occurring, which gains momentum and eventually
rounds out the whole evening performance as a holistic experience.

I suppose this is why most of my CDs are based on themes. Each song tells
story that leads to another and is connected either emotionally or
intellectually. And usually I don't make sense out of these themes and
firm
them up completely until after I listen to the recording of my performance
several times and I am allowed to interpret my own music in a different
context. For example, the CD I have coming out next month is called
"Interstellar Delirium".  There were subtle thoughts and feelings of
sci-fi
lingering inside of me when I recorded the music, and when I sat down and
listen to the music, the theme just hit me....BAMM!  I had imagery and
thoughts of a spaceman who is cutoff and abandoned by his
mothership...afterwhich he lingers in the vacuum of space, slowing
suffocating from a dwindling oxygen supply, and slowing freezing to
death...during that time, he has a series of hallucinations, each of which
inspired the names of the tunes on the CD.  It just works out this way for
me when I perform and produce CDs.

As far as talking to the audience...I avoid it as much as possible. I'm
sort
of like Frisell in this regard. I say thank you a few times and nervously
smile or laughwhile people applaud...that's about it.

Kris