Re: DD20 or DL-4

At 11:33 PM +0100 2/28/06, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:
>I'd like to summarize the advantages/disadvantages of both in a few lines
>-
>but I'm sure that there are others that can tell you a lot more
>(especially
>about the DD20 - got mine last Saturday).
>
>[snip...]

I think that Rainer does an excellent job of summarizing both units.
There's one extra feature I'd like to add for the DD-20, though.  If
you also get one of the optional Roland FS footswitches (the FS-5U --
the unlatched version) you can use it to get a reasonably close
approximation to some of the EDP "glitch" functionalities (ala
LaFosse, etc).  This is the only floor unit I can think of off the
top of my head that can do that.

Other than that, I'll simply go on to agree with the other posters
here.  I like the DD-20 (it's great for exceptionally clean loops, as
well as textures and polyrhythms).  However, the DL-4 is a lot more
accessible, IMNSHO, and is easier with which to get instant
gratification.  That last point may be especially important,
depending upon the technical skill level of the gift recipient.

I think the "neat" factor is a lot more apparent on the DL-4.  While
I finally consider the DD-20 just as "neat", it's a more subtle box
and you've got to take more time to explore its options.

        --m.

--
_______
"Wind in my heart. Dust in my head..."