Re:Re: what to use for record rehearsals and gigs ?

At 18:59 23/02/06, you wrote:
>I use the iRiver IFP-795, and I'm very happy with it. I notice that
>the iRiver store has the ifp-780 for $59.95 now:
>https://secure11.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=iriver&BusType=BtoC&Count1=253841578&Count2=170982003
>so it's not a big risk. (The iRiver IFP models are the only mp3
>players that I'm aware of that will power a condesor microphone.

are you sure that doesn't just mean that it provides a couple of
Volts to power an electret condenser?

>  The
>best recording quality is mp3 320kps)
>
>On 2/23/06, Kris Hartung <khartung@cableone.net> wrote:
> > I've been using the M-Audio Microtrack 24/96 for a few weeks now
> > (recommended by Tom Richford). I love it. It is ridiculously small for
> > solid state recorder, records to wav or MP3, in various frequencies or
>bit
> > rates. I has a stereo mini mic plug in, phantom power, plus two 1/4
>inch
> > balanced inputs.

This just had a good review in Sound on Sound magazine.
Kris, does it have SP/Dif input? The article implied it had, but the
socket appears to be in the output section.
They also said that the phantom power was only 30V, rather than the full
48V,
so that not all mics would work with it.

andy butler