Re: Re: Looper's Essential Listening revisited: the 1980's

At 06:09 20/02/06, you wrote:
>An additional note about Under Heavy Manners was that apparently
>during Zero of the Signified, the tape broke, but Fripp had the
>master loop to later overdub that fast arpeggio onto.  I don't
>remember the exact liner notes though, it's been a couple of decades.

Sometimes an item in my vinyl collection somehow slips backwards to
become unobtainable except by means of a diligent search.

Such is the case with God Save the Queen/ Under Heaver Manners.

So after a determined search, here's Some info from the sleeve notes.

First recording made with the 2 revox set up was No Pussyfooting in 1972,
this being Fripps introduction to the technique.

The "Frippertronics" on UHM/GSQ was recorded in 1979, the album
released in 1980.

"Customarily, once a loop was completed I would rewind the tape and
solo while replayed and converted the signal to stereo; none of these
solos was recorded by me"

For the UHM session, 2 tracks used 1979 "Frippertronics" tapes +
additional instruments and vocals,
and one track has the "loop" part played live.

 From personal recollection from magazine articles which are far more
hidden away than the album, I'd add that Fripp had to be persuaded by
Eno to release his Frippertronics backing tracks as complete works in
their own right.

So, does  God Save the Queen/ Under Heaver Manners make it into the
looping hall of fame?

I'd say no, as it post dates "No Pussyfooting" by almost a decade.

Then there's the famous Frippertronics flexi-disc from Guitar Player
magazine.
(sure it's around somewhere ;-)

andy butler