Re:Kevins AABA

At 02:26 AM 2/13/2006, Andy wrote:
>So this is how it's done

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the detailed explanation!   This could be really cool
if I could get it to work. Could you please look at my questions
below?  I'm only asking to understand the process.

>In any case, you can use the same idea to end up soloing on the
>changes if you'd rather.

Yes, I want to set up AABA tunes like a standard jazz combo tune.  A
short rhythm intro followed by the head followed by the changes
followed by soloing over the changes.

Initial setup:
>set params :-
>SwitchQuant =CnF
>MoreLoops=2
>
>>1. Put down a 2-4 bar groove.

Start on Loop 1.
Record drum pattern.

>>2. Multiply the groove and overdub the head of the AABA tune.

Multiply and play the melody of AABA tune over the drum pattern

>>3. Overdub the chord changes.
>
>3. now as you have SwitchQuant =CnF you can do the overdub of the
>chord changes by first hitting NextLoop(before the time where you'd
>start the overdub),
>then hit Multiply when you want to actually start overdubbing the chords.
>
>You'll have to hit Mult again at the end of the structure,
>OR if you want to start O/D ing the rhythms right away you can end
>the Multiply by
>hitting Overdub.

This is where I get confused. What I understand you to mean is:
Hit NextLoop at the turnaround,
Hit Multiply
Play the chords of the AABA tune.

Now at this point am I on Loop 2 but there's no melody or rhythm and
the audience just hears me play chords?
I thought that hitting NextLoop in record mode just stops recording,
in which case I'd still be in Loop1 and overdubbing the chords over
the drum pattern and melody, is that right?

What I'd like to be doing at this point is playing the chords with
the melody and the drum pattern.  What I think I'm doing is playing
the chords on Loop 1 (or Loop 2?).

>>5. Here's the tricky part: With one pedal press, undo #2 _only_ and
>>go into overdub to start soloing over the tune.
>
>Now use NextLoop to go back to Loop1
>( NextLoop followed by Undo)

 From my faulty understanding, what I understand is that now:

Loop1 has either:
   a) drum pattern and melody or
   b) has drum pattern, melody and chords.

Loop2 has either:
   a) just chords or
   b) nothing.

If I now press NextLoop and then Undo I'll have:
    a) Loop 1 playing drum pattern and Loop2 playing chords
    b) Loop1 playing the melody and the drum pattern and Loop2
playing just the chords

What I'd like to have at this point is Loop1 or Loop2 playing the
drum pattern and chords.  The reason I start with the melody instead
of the chords is that I don't want to bore the audience while I set
up the loop.  I'd like to be able to loop as a solo gig.  I can play
the melody, solo and then play the melody at the close without
looping the melody.

Could you help enlighten me?  At this point I'm a bit confused. Help!

Thanks,
Kevin
www.TheNettles.com