Re: combining transducers,magnetics,piezos and internal mics

All,

        I somewhat disagree with the previous post concerning piezo's,
been
exceedingly happy with the sound generated by my RMC's ( http://
www.rmcpickup.com ) in a L5 clone that is also using Seymour Duncan
SH-2Neck, SH-4Bridge magnetic pickups.  Now, I also have to admit, in
the past, that I've not been the most happy with piezo pickups
(Ovation (?), Fishman, and LR Baggs) due to a number of issues,
mostly pertaining to being very "nasal and thin" sounding, along with
being very prone to feeding back uncontrollably, let alone the other
various noises that seemed to be amplified (such as string scratches)
and very unforgiving.  Had some moderate lucky using a Fishman
system, that used a microphone and piezo element in conjunction with
each other, though from what I remember, that system was as expensive
if not more so than the RMC's, which I've found myself to be happier
using.

        With the RMC's, the main downers are that they require a few holes

in your instrument, they are fairly pricy, and can be complicated to
install (this is according to Richard, the owner/builder) as I've
never done the actual installation, myself.  The only other downer, I
can think of is that there isn't a 7-string option available, yet...
The flip-side, is that my hollowbody jazz box plugged in and running
only on the piezo's is a bit brighter (a little more lower, mid-
midrange, less upper midrange, and little less bass), but otherwise
fairly similiar to what I'm used to hearing if I've not got the
instrument plugged in at all.  Funny thing about these pickups is
that in playing a few tiny venues, I ended up playing strictly
through the piezos in order to avoid feedback being generated by the
magnetics, when the house speakers were quite literally surrounding
and pointing inward towards their stage area.

        The other option out there, that does have a 7-string option, but
is
equally as pricey is the Ghost System, produced by Graphtech ( http://
www.graphtech.com/prodghost.htm ), though I've not yet heard one of
these systems plugged in, so I can't make any comments as to a
comparison with the RMC's, though from what I've read on the
MIDIGuitar group off of Yahoo, they're fairly straight-forward to
install, but they are just as expensive, if not a touch moreso.

        Later on,

Lee