RE: Looperlative core

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin [mailto:kevin@TheNettles.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:04 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Looperlative core

Yes, interesting project!

I ask these questions in order to understand:

1. How much memory will be needed for the OS and SooperLooper?  Any
off-the-shelf daughter boards that could be used easily?
*********************
*** say $300-$500 plus your labor less if you actually soldered some of the
components yourself(soldering SMT/SMD takes some skill though) . Main
board,
Audio board daughter board, CF/IDE daugter board, power supply...
*** shop smart and
*** Haven't got all the details yet but, working on assembling all the
needed information.

2. USB port for I/O or for memory (thumb drive)?  Maybe two ports?
*********************
*** I think a number of these main boards come with ethernet ports so, why
bother with USB. USB is still an option if desired....

3.  I think definitely split the UI from the engine and then use MIDI
from the peripheral for the UI?   Users understand MIDI so then you
can put off having to write too much UI code and then having to port the UI
code to different hardware, not mention not having to design the
peripheral.
Let users decide how they want to interface with the OpenLooper (with the
appropriate documentation).  This way drummers can easily use it, keyboard
players or folks with their own custom MIDI devices.
**********************
*** http://essej.net/sooperlooper/
*** Looking at the Sooperlooper page it seems this can/has been done
haven't
confirmed it myself.
*** I was thinking of implementing the UI in hardware there are a few
embedded UI's out there already.

4. If do #3 then trigger-to-MIDI converters are widespread; are MIDI to USB
converters cheap?
**********************
*** I don't think they are that expensive but, I haven't looked at all the
details myself
*** I have seen a com port to MIDI convertor
http://www.gweep.net/~shifty/ezkit/connections.html
*** Read through the link above......

The business model for OpenLooper would depend on which license is
used for the hardware, software and OS.   LPL, BSD?  In the worst
case someone could still make a living putting together packages of
hardware
and software together with maintenance. Some folks will want to build, but
most will want to buy

The really nice thing about an OpenLooper project is that it gives loopers
chance to prototype new interfaces for looping and new kinds of looping.

This is really exciting!

Cheers,
Kevin
www.TheNettles.com
***************************************
*** I figured on using as much existing Open Source/Freeware already so,
yes
one could make money on ones skills and/or knowledge but, the
software/hardware is owned by someone else. It is more a point of honor
that
one acknowlege the originators of the individual packages and just make
money assembling and configuring....
The links below are the best starting point for such an idea or search on
blackfin for more.....

At 10:55 AM 1/30/2006, you wrote:

>From: "AKA" <nospam@akroeger.com>

Sure entirely feasable here is a possible scenario for an open source
looper system http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=
Maybe use a modified version of SooperLooper you might have to
separate/remove the current UI code and add some hardware UI code.
So, lets see here are some boards that with some work might be able to
produce the desired results
http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=projects#hardware_projects
One could start out fresh and use libsndfile to build individual loop
functions being this is all based on Open Source/Hardware I suppose you
would have to sell it for labor fees being most of the above is GPLed.