Re: Mobius on Windows vs. SooperLooper on Linux

On Jan 29, 2006, at 3:09 PM, Kevin wrote:

> Has anyone done a performance comparison between Mobius on Windows
> and SooperLooper on Linux for equivalent hardware?  I'm thinking of
> stability, low latency and speed.  I'm looking at gear I may be
> able to repurpose or even repackage into a rack mount as special-
> purpose.

There are two issues here, the performance of the operating system
doing audio processing
and the performance of the looping software.  In general, a version
of Linux tuned for audio
should be slightly better than Windows XP, which means you may be
able to achieve
a lower "block size" which is what determines the latency.

Regarding the loopers, I don't have any experience with SooperLooper,
but I'll bet that
Mobius is more of a CPU hog, especially if you want to start using
multiple tracks.

So, if you've got an old machine you are probably better off with
SooperLooper/Linux.
If you've got a relatively modern machine, say 3 years old or less or
are buying a new
one then it doesn't matter, try both and pick the one whose features
you like best.

If you are only using the computer for looping and not amp modeling or
anything else that defines the "live sound" of the instrument, then
the latency doesn't
really matter because the looping software can compensate.

Jeff