Re: Looperlative - Max Time?

At 04:02 PM 1/29/2006, loop.pool wrote:
>kim wrote:
>"....with people who are serious about looping and have been doing it for
>some time, they usually are performing a whole process with loops.
>Building
>it up, taking stuff out, manipulating the loops, changing the loops,
>evolving it from one thing to another. There is not some static point
>where
>you would save something. "
>
>I agree with you there, kim,  but on my last long tour,  I saved my
>favorite
>loops onto my Repeater and now am having a lot of fun going back
>and using them as Ur loops in new compositions (which are not
>real time), completely out of the context with which they were made
>originally.

Sure, I agree with that. Looping is a great way to generate a lot of ideas
for composing or a lot of source material for compositional building
blocks
later.

But then I still don't understand why you would only save one single
still-frame static loop out of the whole process of creating and evolving
the loops in a given piece. What if there were many great points during
that process that you want? Or what if a point you didn't think was
interesting in the moment suddenly becomes really interesting two weeks
later?

And as you suggest, oftentimes the magic moment is in the middle
somewhere,
just before you manipulate the loop in a different direction. In the heat
of performing, I doubt you would think to stop and save the loop right at
that point, or that you would want to interrupt your performance to do
that. You would be going on with your playing, and then only later think
how you really liked that spot two minutes into the piece that is now
completely obliterated by all the loop manipulations done after that
moment.

That's why I think it makes far more sense to just record the whole
process. Forget about saving a single static loop. Save all the audio of
the whole looping process, both input and output. Along with that, save
all
the MIDI output of the looper. The MIDI commands will serve as marker
points so you can later see everything you did, where the loop start and
end points are, etc. You can go back through it and find all the good
points, and not have interrupted your creative process with typing in file
names in the middle of a performance. You could even recreate the whole
thing back into the looper if you wanted to, just plug it the other way
and
press play.

It's real easy. At the beginning of the piece, press record. At the end,
press stop. then you have everything, like a movie with time code and the
director's instructions, rather than a single frame with no context.

kim