OT:multi-effects...my impressions...

to the person looking for "a good" multi-effects...good luck...i think you have to play things and try them out, in this day & age and if  you live in IA, like me, it means you might have to take some chances and buy some used stuff to experiment....
the harmony-central.com site is real good start to research stuff...the bad thing is the inexpensive pedals like zoom 505 or digitech rp series, there may be 100s of reviews.
i have found the main debate is usually: stomp box vs rack

stomp box-are usually simple, small, easy to change parameters etc, but if you chain a lot together you get the crazy snake thing going (some say it sucks tone)

rack-sometimes sound is a bit better, i had a # of older units and thought they were good sounding, but after awhile found that going through menus got tiresome..i had at one time a 4 space rack that was filled and i loved the sound of it...but i think as most guitarists, we get antsy, need change and found myself wanting different sounds that where flexable and easy to work w/....hence i've moved to more "mulit-effects pedals".
for me it's cheap and flexable. right now i'm varying between: digitech rp100 and zoom g2 (see previous bloated message)-w/ an ibanez de7 (2.6 sec delay pedal) to my dod d-12 delay/sampler rack unit (i'm using mostly the samples, the delay just doesn't sound crisp to me anymore, i use the delay if i want extreme modulation from short 2-3 sec to long 10-12 sec manipulations or the opposite)...occasionally if i want more wacky sounds i will put in my digitech synthwah or my alesis ineko (which is partially broken)...for the most part i'm pretty happy w/ the sounds i can get, but like all gtrists always searching....
my 2 cents.....s---
oh some of the rack gear i've had:
zoom 9150-liked (tube distortion w/ multi-effects)
art sge-thing-hated
art sgx-t2-liked, couldn't program to save my life, but liked a bunch of presets
digitech dsp256xl-liked for tap delays and has that "80's effected sound" (currently trying to sell it, appears it is worth a lot less than i thought)
digitech ips33-loved, but old, sold it, could get wacky sounds though
lexicon mpx100-liked a lot of things about it, was one of the few things i've ever bought BRAND NEW, and guess what---THE THING SHORTED OUT! so it sits
zoom 9100 (is this the right #)-the multi-effects pedal w/ the long delay (10 sec i think) options-i didn't love, but others have raved about it, has a sampler in a # of the pedal banks to set up different sounds etc. i remember liking a # of the amp models in it though....
again-above are my opinion, i'm sure others have different....good luck...