Re: Looperlative Too Expensive?

As someone who's made a conserted effort to replace
external gear with software I have to say that in my
findings a good enough laptop and audio interface
hardware to run a decent looper will easily cost you
$1400 (USB isn't fast enough, you'll need USB2 or
Firewire and you'll need a gig of memory and a 7200
rpm hard drive too)

and guess what?  It won't hold a candle to what an EDP
or Repeater can do... probably not be able to keep up
with a Boss RC-50.  Kim's gone on about why this isn't
possible (Windows isn't a "real time" OS and I believe
the Mac OS is better but still not that great)

So while my trusty computer does a great job being my
drum machine, effects processor and synth (though not
all at the same time) I've never found the
feature/feel combo in looping software, although
Augustusloop is mighty fun in a pinch.  It's not going
to replace my hardware any time soon, just as my soft
synths aren't going to replace my Virus.  They just
don't pack the same power.

Mark