RE: SOME THOUGHTS ON THE STATE OF THE LOOP

Wow, what an interesting thread Ted has opened for us…..

It again opens up for discourse and debate the questions of not so much
“how
we do what we do”, but “why we do what we do”.

I am a musician.  I am very proud of the fact that I make a (comfortable)
living doing what I love to do.  I don’t really consider myself so much a
“looping musician” (although I use looping extensively) any more than I
consider myself a “jazz musician” (although I do tend to play quite a bit
in
that idiom).  I am a bass player although I introduce myself simply as a
musician.  And, as a bass player, my biggest musical influences are not
Jaco
and Stanley, but Miles Davis and Igor Stravinsky.   So, I am a looping
jazz
bassist currently playing country with some icons of that genre (oh, and
yes, even using loops in that situation!).
I prefer to see myself simply as a musician. And as a musician I make the
best with what I have.  My music would not be all that different should I
be
using an EDP and bass guitar or a coconut shell, some aluminum foil, kite
string and a ball point pen.

I am a solo bassist as well.  In that capacity I use loops the most.
Like Ted, I have spent that past year or so really trying to downplay the
“reliance” on loops in my music.  My goal has been to focus on the music I
play and not the technology I use with it.  I try to make my looping
interactive with my playing; in fact, I feel most successful when one
cannot
discern between the looped and played parts. I have learned to use short
loops which I bring into(and then back out of) a composition as an
integral
part as opposed to the loop being the “starting point” of a  piece, or the
MAIN FEATURE of a composition.  In the process I have tried to both be a
better musician and a more “discerning” loopist.  Limiting how I use
loops,
and fx processing as well—I use only a spring reverb for fx, --has
actually
enhanced what I do musically.

I suppose I am fortunate to have had, and to have, a musical identity
outside of looping.  This makes scaling back the technology and
concentrating on the physical act of “playing” and instrument easier (and
before the flames begin let me just say that I have no fear nor prejudice
about technology, but do feel there is a difference ‘tween programming and
playing.  While both require requisite skills—altho those with no
requisite
skills can, and often do, excel at either—playing often (in the best of
circumstances) also possesses a certain, for lack of a better word, pathos
which programming cannot.  For me it is that I do not want to be a
“one-man-band”.  I do not want to fill every sonic nook and and cranny or
have a seemingly infinite number of sonic/fx/routing possibilities.  I
like
the limitations of wrangling sounds from a single instrument which sounds
like a single instrument (and that being, of all things, an acoustic
instrument).  I use looping as an integral part of that sonic picture;
rarely to create a static event which is played over, but rather a series
of
calls and responses which are played with and to.  I also make no qualms
about playing structures which are severely “in” (as opposed to being
“out”).  Although I do have a background in experimentalism and the
“avant”,
I tend to be compelled to explore more “traditional” compositional forms.
find using loops in this way to be even more challenging than doing the
almost clichéd experimental-looping schtick.  And again, before the flames
begin---artists create, exploring whatever form they choose, from (more
than
any other reason) a compulsion to do so: because they have to do so.
Whatever that compulsion is with you, then by all means do it with all of
the power and passion you can muster.  But to play music, whether that be
“inside” or “outside, merely because it is easily done with the technology
you have at hand…or because others are doing it…is a great waste of time
and
effort.

But, that is just me.  One thing I was really hit with at the Y2K5
Festival
in Santa Cruz was just how diverse, and creative, all we loopsters are.
And, in all this creativity and diversity the question is stilled begged,
“is this an art form?”  I am not sure it really qualifies as such.  It is
an
approach, a technique, and as such one which is manipulated in a thousand
different ways by different artists.  Is it new and novel?  Well, we all
know it is not (yet, in the greater timeline of musical evolution it is
certainly a discipline which is still very much in its’ infancy). Even so,
the “technique” of looping has and will continue to permeate the
boundaries
of pop music…which is not really so surprising since the use of loops in
audio production has been a mainstay technique for decades.

So what of the “live looping” movement, the “loopfests” and even this
list…are any of these such a bad thing?  I sometimes have wondered if
naming
a show a “looping show” does not somehow limit the performance, or at
least
the audience.  Yet, I also applaud the efforts (and do help to promote
these
events).  I do regular solo looping shows (3-5 a month), and I used to
include a little “explanation” of how looping works if only to thwart any
possible audience misconception of me using “canned” tracks.  Some of
these
are gigs that are similar to the experience which Per described.  I have
given up explaining things.  I have learned not to underestimate the
audience; not in their ability to comprehend a performance, nor in their
willingness (or, in fact, desire) to be challenged with new music outside
of
what their preconception of music might be.  I think that often times we
as
performers do underestimate our audience.  This is a big mistake.  At my
shows, I have found that while the audience may not truly understand the
method of looping, they are sharp enough to “get” the process…and
appreciate
it as well (sans explanation).

Yes, there is a great deal of  “preaching to the choir” in all of this,
but
often you have to talk to those who are willing to listen.  I am sure
there
will come a time when looping is not such an exotic thing as to even
warrant
being labeled.  Of course, by then there will be a lot of crappy looping
going on as well. (as Mark pointed out) In the meantime, I welcome
anything
which gives exposure to “what we do”….
  Which leads me back to “playing”.  Learning to play an instrument is
learning to speak with the instrument…and this has nothing to do with
speed,
chops or the inevitable “wank-a-thonics”.  I know quite a few folks who
can
“get around” on an instrument (usually a guitar…), yet few who can
actually
“play”; who can speak thru their instrument and actually have something to
say (and, BTW, Ted, you can play....) What good is looping a sound if you
have nothing to say with it?

>From all of this we share some common goals.  We want to be heard.  We
>want
the process, the techniques and technologies, to be recognized, and we
want
those using these techniques and technologies to be recognized.  We want
new
and improved hardware and software…we want new toys! (which, when you
think
about it is coming about—perhaps not to the configuration of everyone’s
“dream looper”—and the introduction of several new looping devices in the
past year or so MAY have come about, at least in part, do to the open
discussions of this list…and likely as well due to some of these
“LoopFests”).

I play solo bass by default.  I never wanted to do that.  I used solo bass
playing as a way of learning more about music vis-à-vis my instrument (I
found that I could play basslines with a deeper groove and conviction if I
new the melody very well, if I understood the functions of the harmony and
why the rhythm worked…so I learned to play all of these things). Looping
came as an extension of this and grew into something which is an integral
part of my own music-making. Yet, I try for it not to be the main focus,
for
the music itself is the focus.

Playing solo with loops is a difficult bit; it is difficult for the
“magic”
to happen.  For me, music really happens in the dialogue between the
players.  And it is precisely this “private conversation”, to which we
make
the audience privy to, which the audience finds to enticing.  It is hard
do this as a solo player.  I find one thing very mono-dimensional at
“loop-shows”: the plethora of solo acts.  I would really like to see folks
using looping in ensembles (and not ensembles where everybody is
looping—especially not all at the same time!), but in ensembles where
music
is being made and looping is an integral part of that process. In all the
“looping  Festivals” I have performed at I have tried to instigate such
events.  At Y2K5, Behrnard Wagner and myself performed an impromptu
looping
duet (without sync) that came off quite well.

Ok…so enough of my babbling now.  I guess that I too missed the looper’s
pow-wow at NAMM this year…but only because I could neither drive nor walk.

For what it is worth, Ted Killian is on of my 5 favorite doofus guitarists
of all time…….

Max