Re: Robert Fripp US tour

I used to have the RMC system, custom built into a Gibson ES-335, and
worked
directly with my luthier and Richard himself to get it working. I had the
Roland hex pickup before that. I could tell a major difference in
tracking,
or whatever you want to call it (string plucking to synth response time?).
One reason is that the RMC system pickups make direct contact with the
strings...they ARE the bridge saddles/piezos, vs. the hex pickups that sit
below the strings with space between them.  Here is an interesting passage
from an interview from McLaughlin, who used to use the Axon system, but
switched to RMC at the time of this interview, in 2005.

"MCLAUGHLIN: While playing with the John McLaughlin Trio in the '80s, I
used
the Photon MIDI interface and blended the modern sound of the synthesizer
with the antique sound of a nylon-string acoustic guitar-a combination
that
worked amazingly well. And another amazing piece of gear was the AXON MIDI
interface, which used Neural Net technology. It was a great unit for
playing
live, and I used it on solos while touring with Paco DeLucia and Al
DiMeola,
but it was very difficult to record with. You'd hear all of the glitches,
and with six outputs it was hard to get just a single synth output to work
cleanly. Recently I've been using a Godin Multiac guitar with an internal
RMC pickup system, driving a Roland GI-20 MIDI interface, connected
directly
to a 1.6GHz Apple laptop running MIDI software. I've been using it a lot
in
the studio while recording my upcoming CD, and also live, particularly
with
Remember Shakti. It works like a dream, with practically no latency, and
is
easily the best guitar synth that I've ever tried."

Kris