latency with ableton live 5, edirol fa-101, rack mount pc.

>>>fascinating. how did you check the latency? i must say that it's
>>>hard for me to believe that you're getting that low latency with
>>>firewire.

i have a similar experience to report.  live 5.03, edirol fa-101, and my
home-built
rack mount system (p4 2.4ghz, 2gb speedy ram, sata 7200 raid array, win xp
pro).
ableton reports 7ms latency.  i run everything through it, and don't use
the direct
signal at all.

my only complaint is that sometimes christina (the vocalist) gets a bit of
a doubling
in her headphones, which can be distracting.

i've had it down to 3ms by reducing the sample size to the smallest
setting, but
i got some pops and clicks, so i bumped it up a bit.

from what i read on the ableton forum, pc's are speedier than macs.

i've had disappointing results running ableton on mac laptops, especially
in terms
of the ability to run even just a few effects.

when i'm live looping solo i have absolutely no issues with the latency,
playing
along with loops requires either just the slightest bit of subconcious
adjustment,
or none at all.

i don't run any external effects - i'm quite happy with live's built in
efx plus
a small variety of vst's.

kim@hotbitcharsenal.com