Re: crappy music of the masses

I'm all for taking that anger and making more music of it. So if you hate
rap, gangsta rap, death metal, etc, etc...then who knows, maybe that might
make good inspiration for a dark ambient looping piece.  Take a chain saw
an iron cast frying pan...loop that.

> BUT..........what if the anger & expression lead to physical
> manifestations? (i.e. beating the shit out of people, killing folks,
> beating the crap out of one's significant other, et al).

That's where this thing called taking responsibility for one's own actions
comes into play. The last I heard, there is no psychosomatic "necessary"
or
logical connection between anger and assault and battery, unless we're
talking about a real disorder or psychosis (though I can easily switch to
my
philosophical mode here and posit a theory where everything goes and no
one
is repsonsible).

> Personal expression is great. The older I get, the more I respect those
> who don't conform to the norms and express themselves via the arts or
>even
> just in terms of clothing, hair, whatever.
> However, a lot of brainwashing is in effect in modern day society by the
> media/advertising/broadcasting conglomerates. And what people are doing
> isn't necessarily motivated by their own desire to express themselves
>but
> rather their expression is a result of being influenced as to what they
> should be doing by folks selling stuff.

Hmmmm...smells like determinism to me. Are you a determinist?  Cool if you
are...I'm borderline.  Let's not get the rest of the world to buy into
that,
however....otherwise, we're f*cked. ;)

Practically, however, I do still question this power of influence. I don't
believe (or disbelieve for that matter) that society is "causing" anyone
do anthing. That remains to be demonstrated. We ultimately absorb our
environment and make choices based on that data.  We have choices. That is
the key here.

K-