Re: AW: LWL (looping with laptops) - multi-FX VST andcompressor/limiter VST

Rainer: try taking a look at the Luxonix LFX-1310
(
http://www.luxonix.com/home/en/products.html?id=lfx1310
).  I just downloaded and started futzing around
with it this week.  It's not an absolute rave-up,
but I think it could be what you're looking for
-- flexible multiFX with a relatively low CPU
load.  Best of all, it's free.

Mark, Rainer is right about the CPU usage on
Stylus RMX.  I've been using Stylus for a couple
of years now, since the first version was
released -- and was mildly disappointed by the
CPU utilization on RMX.  There *are* some tricks
to get it down to a nice, low level, which is not
how it comes out of the box; rather, it boots
into a mode that really shows off some of its
nicer features, such as the effects.  But that
comes at the expense of the CPU.  I don't doubt
that was probably how Rainer's friend first
brought it up (I know I did the same for the
first few months too).

The tradeoff is that it oozes quality.  The drums
are the best of any virtual library I've come
across, especially if you start adding the SAGE
Xpanders like Backbeat or New Orleans Groove.

What I might suggest for your purposes, however,
is to see if you can find a copy of Stylus
"Classic".  There are still a few floating around
as overstock if you look.  It has a ridiculously
low CPU usage, and it's just as ridiculously easy
to throw together backing beats.  You can go
through and search the library, or, if you're in
an improv or writing session, fall back on the
groove menus.  These presets have a set of
different beats already mapped across a keyboard.
They are divided by tempo, then subdivided by the
feel at that tempo -- slow, medium, or fast.
Most of the beats within one of those presets are
further divided (by key mapping) into the
elements of that groove.  For instance C2 may
contain the complete drum loop, while C#2 only
has the bass drum part, D2 has the snare and
hats, D#2 the percussion, etc., etc.  Makes for a
very fast way of working out a part.  Then, most
of the grooves also have their own presets into
which you can go and actually edit the MIDI notes
of the different elements, once you've decided on
a base part you like.

Finally, I've got one of the Powercore systems
(the Powercore Firewire) and I love it.  I first
bought it for the exact reason both of you
mentioned -- to get CPU load out of my rack.  It
doesn't work as well as I'd thought it would
that, but only because I'm using it with live
material.  There is a latency inherent in the
system (audio has to be fed out Firewire, then
piped back in).  If you're working with
pre-recorded parts, most hosts now have plug-in
latency compensation to deal with this.  However,
it's not so applicable to pre-delay tracks when
they're being composed on the fly live. ;)  The
good news is that if you know about that ahead of
time, you can plot around it.  For instance, I
didn't want to depend on the Powercore's
compression, because I was afraid a few
milliseconds of delay would "smear" the signal
just enough wrong to cause polarity problems at
the very least.  That means I don't use the
compression plug-ins on the individual
instruments (which is a shame, since the 24/7 is
a nice emulation), but rather compress the signal
before hitting the A/D converter.

That said, there's plenty of good stuff that can
be used without a problem.  Anything delay-based
(the Classic and Mega Reverbs are worth the price
of admission alone, then the Chorus Delay and the
EQ's, and Character is really good too).  The
Master X3 is the TC Finalizer, and I usually
strap that across the inserts on the main outs of
my host.  And I'm finding uses I wouldn't have
normally thought of for that cheesy little SH-101
clone that comes with it.  I'm even considering
either the Novation V-Station or Access Virus to
offload most of my synth duties from the CPU.

Overall, I've probably dropped my average CPU
utilization by over 40% so far by using the
Powercore, and it sounds really, really good.

Let me know if you've any specific questions, and
I'll be happy to address them.

        --m.