Re: Using a laptop onstage: Dominic Frasca's take is misguided

At 3:27 PM -0800 1/5/06, Travis Hartnett wrote:
>Sure, but my point in using the Apple Store price is that it's more
>standardized and readily available.  For the current model, the 17"
>PowerBook, the Apple price is $2499, and the current model EDP (for
>instance) is $799.  I'm sure one can find an older beige EDP with an
>earlier version of the software for less, but the two prices quoted
>above are reliably available to everyone.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from.  Although I think the
analogy would be more accurate if you took the Apple price as what
would normally be considered "list" (thus your EDP price in the
example would actually be $1300).

My only counterpoint would probably be: who the heck pays list price
anymore?  ;)

>PS: is your sig a Zork quote?

It *is* from one of the old text style computer games, although it
seems it's gotten passed around between several of them -- almost
like a programmer in-joke.  I first remember seeing it on an old
Commodore 64 version called Adventure (I think) but I believe Zork
coined it long before that.

Dunno why that one came to mind, but for some reason I though it
would make an interesting .sig.

        --m.

--
_______
"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike..."